Two grounds have doubled up on staging League matches on the same day.

Only twice has a ground staged two Football League matches on the same day.

The first occasion was at the end of the 1920/21 season. Stockport County were battling against relegation from Division 2 when they entertained Sheffield Wednesday at their Edgeley Park ground on Saturday April 2nd 1921. With County losing 0-1 referee Mason rejected a strong Stockport appeal for a penalty, a decision which was followed by serious crowd problems culminating in windows being broken in the ref's dressing room.

As a result the FA closed Edgeley Park for the final home match of the season. By then Stockport had been relegated and just 13 spectators paid to watch County play Leicester City at Old Trafford on Saturday 7th May 1921, the match kicking off at 6.30 after the same ground had hosted Manchester United v Derby County in the First Division in the afternoon. The paying attendance of 13 would be the lowest ever in the Football League but in reality many of the 10,000 fans who were at the earlier fixture stayed on to watch the second match for free. The actual attendance for the Stockport v Leicester match was estimated at between one and two thousand spectators (the match ended in a 0-0 draw).

The second occasion was at the start of the 1986/87 in the more humble surroundings of Hartlepool United's Victoria Ground.

Hartlepool's near neighbours Middlesbrough were on the verge of extinction during the 1986 close-season. They had been relegated to the Third Division, home crowds were regularly less than 5000 and they were heavily in debt. With literally ten minutes of a Football League deadline remaining a consortium that included Steve Gibson saved the day and reformed the club - as Middlesbrough Football and Athletic Company (1986) - ensuring that they could start the League season the following day. But not at their own ground!

Their Ayresome Park ground had been locked by the Official Receiver forcing their first match, due to have been played at home, to be staged at nearby Hartlepool. So on Saturday August 23rd 1986 the Victoria Ground hosted Hartlepool United's Division 4 match against Cardiff City in the afternoon (1-1 draw, attendance 2800) which was followed in the evening by the Middlesbrough v Port Vale Division 3 encounter (2-2 draw, attendance 3690).

Having played their first 'home' match at Hartlepool fate then decreed that Middlesbrough played their first away match at the same venue. So three days after the season kicked off at the Victoria Ground, Middlesbrough returned there for the away leg of a Littlewoods Cup tie against Hartlepool. Their first home match at Ayresome Park was then in the home leg against Hartlepool with Middlesbrough repaying their neighbours help by knocking them out of the competition, 3-1 on aggregate!